Pages

Monday 25 April 2011

Early Pregnancy Tests and Stress.


I sometimes wonder if the days before home pregnancy tests, were not so bad after all? Obviously it's a good thing that women can plan and make important lifestyle choices from early conception. If we're in the habit of  indulging in rather more than the occasional glass of plonk, like to jump out of planes or ride horses over fences, then of course it makes sense not to put ourselves at risk of internal or external injury. Likewise, it's a good thing to take folic acid from early pregnancy, and for some of us it's essential to be certain what's happening from day one in order to make that all important decision.

But, you know I also see a whole lot of stress that our mothers and grandmothers didn't need to experience, because that kind of instant information was not available. When my Mum got pregnant, it was customary to wait until the second missed period before going to the doctor for a check up, and although that might seem like an interminably long time to wait, I can see some benefits. Most women will have a pretty good idea that they're pregnant by about 6 weeks after the last period, and by waiting for another couple of weeks before seeing a medical professional there's a chance to quietly come to terms with the very private wonder of the possibility of new life growing within. There was a chance to keep that knowledge to yourself without the need to announce it to the world at large. 

These days, the availability of home pregnancy tests creates a different kind of stress. Many very early pregnancies end in miscarriage without a woman even knowing that she was pregnant, yet thanks to a quick pee on a stick in the privacy of your own bathroom, that late period has now become an emotionally traumatic event that could have been unnecessary. Then there's the stress of a very faint positive result on a test, because for some women it's simply too early for the presence of HCG (pregnancy hormone) to give a strong result. So then we have women spending a lot of money on repeat tests which they then spend days, anxiously examining in minute detail, for conclusive proof of pregnancy. Am I really pregnant? Am I just bonkers? And then, if I am, how soon should I tell people? What about if I announce my pregnancy and then miscarry? When should I see a doctor of midwife? Is 5 weeks pregnant too soon? What about all those things I shouldn't eat - and Oh my God I think I ate a piece of blue cheese on Thursday night!

Early pregnancy seems to have somehow become this incredibly intense, anxiety provoking state that means a woman hasn't time to exhale before she's already concerning herself about the management of every aspect of her body. Personally, I'd like to see more of a balance between responsible behaviour and relaxed delight. Perhaps all pregnancy tests should come with a free health message. 'Congratulations, you're pregnant! Now chill out and enjoy! 

Or maybe I'm just a middle aged stargazer?  

No comments:

Post a Comment